Next stop China

Next stop China
Next Stop China!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Potty Training kid #4

Ok, I am sooo proud of Seth.
When we first brought Seth home at 18 months old, he was already telling us when he pooped. He would say the Ethiopian word for poop, and while many kids would be happy to run around in it all day, he almost always came and told me when he was done.
Anyway, since we had no water and the stress on me was so overwhelming until last week when we sold our house, I put off potty training. And the fact that he just turned 2 in December, I wasn't in too big a hurry.
Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and go buy a potty for him.
Bad thing about Seth, he hardly drinks, so he doesn't pee real often. Which makes it harder to catch.
This morning I sat him on the potty right in front of the TV while he watched Mickey Mouse. I repeated often for him to go potty and gave him a glass of milk, then a glass of tea.
After about 1.5 hours of sitting on the potty (not being forced, just entertained on the potty) I got tired of waiting.
So, I told him to get up and sat Ethan on it naked. Which Ethan did NOT like. Then I got a glass of warm water and put Ethan's hand in, which he did NOT like, at first, then he wanted to play in it. Still no peeing from Ethan. Then I got warm water and poured it over Ethan's privates. Which he did NOT like, at first, then he thought it was funny. Still no pee, so Ethan got to get up.
In the meantime, Seth was watching and a little jealous that Ethan was on his potty, which worked out well for me. I sat Seth back down and tried the hand in warm water with him.
Nothing.
Then I got the warm water and poured it over his privates and during the 2nd cup, he Finally peed!
We all clapped and made a big fuss,gave him a gummy bear, and it was then that it dawned on him what he was supposed to do on the potty.
I put a diaper on him and sent him to play.
About an hour and 1/2 later, I sat him on it again. This time I went for the warm water after about 10 min, but I didn't need it, he peed while I was at the sink.
Each time I put his diaper on him, I would say
"If you need to poop, don't poop in your diaper, come tell me and you can poop in the potty, ok?" And he would say "ok"

After the nap, the same thing. And he pooped a tiny bit in the potty. I couldn't believe it!
But the most impressive thing was that after telling him not to poop in his diaper over and over, this happened...
I was right inside the door with Ethan, while Aaron, Seth and the girls were outside with our telescope.
Seth comes to the door and says "poop", so I open the door to let him in.
He is crying because he HATES to come inside, especially when others are outside.
But I have him sit on the potty anyway. For about 10 min. And when Aaron comes in, he checks, and that awesome kid had pooped in his potty.
So here are the stats:
Day 1 potty training
Peeing 5 times in potty
Pooping 2 times in potty
1 diaper wet during waking hours
INCREDIBLE
I can only hope it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment