Next stop China

Next stop China
Next Stop China!

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Yard Sale Fundraiser and Home Study Update

Whew! Last week was exhausting and I am still recovering.  I will go ahead and get to the most exciting news.  In our Pirkle/Starnes yard sale this weekend, we raised $3,700 to split between us for our adoptions!  I was hoping for $1000 each.  Aaron was his usual pessimistic self and guessed around $300-$500 each.  So we were both blown out of the water!  
My work schedule at the hospital is made for 4 weeks at a time, so back when I signed up for this current schedule, we were planning on having the yard sale on Saturday only. So I signed up for Mon, Tue, Wed. this week.   Then we decided to have the yard sale on Friday and Saturday.  Leaving me only Thursday off last week.  I have been canceled a lot lately, but of course, the week that I could have used some time off, I had to work each of my days.  Which means leaving the house at 6am and getting home after 8pm.  Exhausting.  So, that was Mon, Tue, Wed.   Then the kids and I went up to the church building Thur. and starting sorting through the huge amount of yard sale items donated by our friends and families.   We were at the church building sorting from 8:30 until 2pm with a small lunch break.  Came home, spent a few hours resting and back up to the church building at 5pm, where lots of our friends from church came to help us sort and get ready for the big sale.  We got home around 9pm Thursday night.
Friday, bright and early, Aaron met the other adoptive couple at the church building at 5am to start putting out tables.  There were so many things to sell.  We live about 25 min. from our church building, so that means leaving early.  I managed to get the kids ready for their Friday co-op and we got to the church building by 6am.  Poor Ethan was so tired and grumpy (from me waking him up at 5am, a mere 3 hours earlier than usual) that he cried when I let him wear the shirt he wanted to wear.
The weather had turned cold and windy so we about froze in 40 degree weather even when the sun came out.
We sold around $1700 worth  by 1pm Friday when we started putting the tables away. We probably had around 30 tables full of items, plus items on the ground and 6-8 racks full of clothes.  Took about an hour to move everything back into the storage barn and we headed home Friday night to rest. We got home around 5pm because we had to hang out in Decatur for the kids to get home from their Friday Co-op. We had wonderful friends who graciously offered to take the kids for us, so they wouldn't miss their classes.  Of course with 5 kids, we had to split them between friends. I could hardly stay up until 8pm.  
Got up again bright and early Saturday morning. Aaron again got to the church building by 5am, and I brought the kids again by 6am.  I was moving even slower Saturday and since I had worked M, T, W, sorted T, yard sale F, we had NO food in the house. I was really scrounging and I HATE to pay a restaurant when we are scrimping every dime.  But I broke down and got biscuits for the kids on the way. (took our own drinks though) :)
Around 1:45 pm, we started boxing up what was leftover. Even with selling $3700 worth of items, we still filled a large moving van that the local thrift store brought to take away our extras.   We are so blessed with a generous church family and our own families and friends that donated so many, many items.  THANK YOU!!
Again, so exhausted last night...bedtime around 8pm.  One kid didn't feel well last night.  Another one felt bad this morning, so I kept them all home from church services.  Since we are trying to work as many hours as we can, poor Aaron had signed up to burn today for overtime and had to go into work exhausted.  He didn't have to be there until noon, so he went on to church services and left early enough to get to work.
I managed to get to the grocery store today, so now we can eat again!
Now onto cleaning a house and doing laundry that has been neglected for a week.
Oh, and Aaron had his first home study meeting this week. It went well and our 2nd one will be this Thursday.  We are planning to get our finger prints done this week also.

No comments:

Post a Comment